History of Eureka Secondary School
1844
Three Mercy Sisters first arrived in Kells in a sidecar from Tullamore. They undertook the running of the girls’ primary school, which had been set up by a local lady, Catherine Dempsey, in 1840. The school was located on the present-day convent grounds and still has her name over the door of the old school buildings.
1888
The Sacred Heart Orphanage was set up by the Sisters and located on the convent grounds. The primary school grew and expanded steadily.
1924
The Mercy Sisters decided to open a secondary school. It consisted of two rooms in the convent. Sr. M. Ignatius Murphy was appointed Principal, and Sr. M. Ita Searson taught with her. Later, they were joined by Sr. Malachy McEnroe.
1934
Demand for places in the school grew, and a new school was built on the convent grounds. Miss Conway was the first lay teacher.
1940s
Three new sisters who studied in UCC joined the teaching staff – Sr M Evangelist Cooney, Sr. Benignus Kelly and Sr Gertrude Monahan – and all played key roles in the development of the school.
1954
A compulsory school uniform was adopted for the first time – navy gymslip and jumper, white Peter Pan collar and white belt, blazer and beret, both with crest. Enrolment reached 147.
1954
Students attended the secondary school when it was located in the grounds of the convent, before moving to Eureka House.
At this time, Eureka House was bought by the parish. It was built in 1882 and originally belonged to Lord Headfort. It was intended to be used as a Parochial House but proved unsuitable, so Monsignor MacCullen decided to make it available to the Mercy Sisters for use as a secondary school. It was renovated and adapted as a school at a cost of £4,000.
1956
On 26th April 1956, the new school was officially opened and blessed by Monsignor MacCullen. The name “Eureka” was retained on his recommendation. Classes commenced there on the same day! The sisters recall walking down the road from the old school carrying blackboards, easels, chalk, dusters, etc. There were six classrooms, music, typewriting and reception rooms capable of catering for 150 pupils, all in Eureka House. The school was heated by electric wall-heaters and a big coal and turf stove in the main hallway. There was a great air of excitement among teachers and pupils alike for this new venture. There was plenty of playing space, even if it was in grass, a great improvement on the small gravel yard back up at the old school. There were lots of rhododendrons and daffodils on the grounds and a stream running close by, all of which provided a beautiful setting for the new school. Sr. Evangelist was the principal of the school at this time.
1960s
Both enrolment and the school continued to expand, and with the addition of three new classrooms and numbers reaching 282, a pre-fab block was erected, adding 4 more classrooms and toilets. The area at the back of the house was changed from grass to tarmac to provide tennis courts and playing areas. In 1969, a second floor was added to the 1962 building, giving four more classrooms.
1966
Sr. Evangelist retired as Principal, and Sr. Benignus became the new Principal.
1968
The first male teacher, Mr. Leonard Noone, joined the staff.
1970s
Enrolment numbered 332. In 1972, the Gym, Science Lab, three classrooms and toilets were built. In 1978, there was the addition of two more classrooms and a sewing room. A room in the main house was designated to be a Religion room.
1980
St. Catherine’s Boarding School was closed after the Leaving Cert. exams in June. Sr. Benignus retired, and Sr. Pauline was appointed as Principal. Enrolment had then reached 444.
1981
On May 24th, the 25th Anniversary of the opening of Eureka was celebrated with Mass concelebrated by priests of the parish, followed by tea in Eureka hall.
1980s
A new block of rooms was built to include 3 classrooms, Home Economics rooms and Physics-Chemistry laboratory. In 1988, there was the addition of two prefabricated classrooms.
1986
Sr. Pauline retired as Principal, and Sr. Joan Dunne was appointed to take over the role of Principal.
1990s
Enrolment was now at 638. The Canteen, a new Art Room and six more pre-fabricated classrooms were built.
2000s
The Staffroom moved to refurbished classrooms, two additional classrooms were provided, the Science lab was refurbished, a second Home Economics kitchen was provided, and four older classrooms were refurbished.
2006
Eureka celebrated its Golden Jubilee.
2006
Sr Joan retired, and Ms. Caroline O’Reilly was appointed as the first lay Principal. New Art room, new Science lab and smart boards with data projectors were installed.
2009
Mr Broderick retired, and Ms. Gabrielle Moran was appointed as the new Deputy Principal. The drive with technology enhancement continues with the introduction of eportal in 2011.
2013 & 2014
Literacy & Numeracy Strategies.
2014
Phasing in of the New Junior Cycle Programme.
2015
Assessment for Learning.
2016
Politics & Society was introduced as a new senior cycle subject.
2017
Digital Learning Strategy.
2018
School Self-Evaluation.
2019
New School Campus.
2020
Appointment of a new Deputy Principal – Ms. Mary Mullaghy.
2021
Appointment of a second Deputy Principal – Mr. David Wright.
2023
Appointment of Ms. Caroline O’Reilly to the Joint Managerial Board.
2024
Appointment of an Acting Principal – Ms. Mary Mullaghy.
2024
Appointment of an Acting Deputy Principal – Mr. Martin Devine.
2024
Appointment of Principal – Ms. Maria Harney.
